Read this First
Ethics for Academic Research (English) year 2020-2021
Mitzub'ixi Qu'q Ch'ij
||Graduate students, for
the Graduate School of
International Cultural Studies, Tohoku University
||From Feb. 8 to
Feb. 11, 2021, II (10:30-12:00) , III (13:00-14:30), IV(14:40-16:10)
||Online Workshop by
|Language of the
|Type of Class／授業形態
will present you an introduction to research ethics for graduate
students. We take a standardized teaching protocol for understanding
research ethics borrowed from Japanese text books by use of case
discussion method. We welcome for not only graduate students of liberal
arts and humanities but also for students from the faculties of
science, technology, and inter-/trans-disciplinary sciences.
Students can understand the philosophies and histories of modern
research ethics by participating with case studies conferences.
2. Through considering on various cases of misconducts in research contexts the students can elaborate and understand about the meaning of "research integrity."
3. Students can write concrete research proposal with ethical concerns even though that students' plans would be virtual or planned in near future.
||There is no
requirement in this class.
Outside of Class／授業外における学習
provide and arrange a resource web-page [ https://goo.gl/u8L6vq ]in Japanese
students attending this class outside from this virtual syllabus. The
Students can use this web-site for preparations and reviews of each
||You can get and
read hand-outs and assigned papers from web-site [https://goo.gl/v5w8Hp] chiefly in
- Computer ethics : analyzing information technology / Deborah G. Johnson ; with contributions from Keith W. Miller, Prentice Hall (is an imprint of Pearson) , 2009
- comp_ethics2009Johnson.pdf (4.3MB)with password
- OnBeingScientist3reEdit2009.pdf (392k)with password
- EthicsModuleforWebX.pdf (183k) with password
-Julian Baggini and Peter S. Fosl, The ethics toolkit : a compendium of ethical concepts and methods. Blackwell, 2007
Files with pasword
educational resource is situated in [ https://goo.gl/sPPwdH
] entitled, "Introduction to Research Ethics."
Curriculum in pdf: with password 190225-3.pdf .
Your friendly glossary of applied ethics
Glossary of Ethics
- On being a scientist : a guide to responsible conduct in research [pdf with password]
- How to write a thesis / Umberto Eco ; translated by Caterina Mongiat Farina and Geoff Farina ; foreword by Francesco Erspamer, Cambridge, Massachusetts : MIT Press , c2015 [pdf with password]
of qualification will be evaluated from self-evaluation points from
each students' portfolios, 50%, and attainment points of student's
||[Contents of "The ethics toolkit"][Contents of "The philosopher's
toolkit"][Your friendly glossary of
applied ethics][Glossary of Ethics]
special consideration regarding the taking of this course is necessary
due to reasons such as a disability, please consult in advance with the
academic affairs related contact point for the department belonged to
(such as the school affairs section or graduate school affairs section)
or else with Trans-disciplinary Education Division of Purser Department
in the Center for Education in Liberal Arts and Sciences. In addition,
please inform the teacher responsible for the class at an early stage,
such as at the first class.
research integrity, compliance, conflict of interests (COI), research
||Do you know the
motto printed in T-shirt of a used book store in Berkeley, California, "Moe's" that I found ? - "Reading
is Sexy." It's Great that I
think. I will add in our class, "Understanding Research Ethics is also
agapic [in Greek sence]Sexy, Philo-Sophy." This is my motto of
objectivity of this class.
Curriculum detail in 2020
0. Ice-Breaking [ introduceyourself.pdf]
1. Introducing to Workshop Style Class, and The three axioms for the modern research ethics
2. A Change of Plans (01)
3. The Pervert's Guide to Ideology, documentary narrative of Slavoj Zizek, 2012
4. The Selection of Data (02) & Discovering an Error (03)
5. The Fog of War, documentary narrative of Robert S. Robert McNamara, 2003
6. Discussion on The Fog of War.
7. Fabrication in a Grant Proposal (04) & Who Gets Credit? (05)
8. Zero Dark Thirty, 157 min, 2012.
9. Discussion on Ethics of Warfare and Terrorism
10. Is It Plagiarism ? (06) & A Commercial Opportunity ? (07)
11. China's Van Gogh, 2016
12. Fine Arts: Authors' identities and its authenticities
13. A Conflict of Commitment (09) and Discussion
14. The Young Karl Marx, 118 min, 2016
15. Concluding remarks
Visual Presentations for my class "Ethics for Academic Research (in English)"
1. The Perver's Guide to Ideology, 136 min., documentary narrative of Slavoj Zizek, 2012
2. The Fog of War, documentary narrative of Robert S. Robert McNamara, 2003
3. China's Van Gogh, 2016
4. The Young Karl Marx, 118 min, 2016
5. Outbreak, 1995 , 128 min, [tentative]
6. Valkyrie, 124 min, 2008,[tentative]
7. Zero Dark Thirty, 157 min, 2012.
|Curriculum detail in 2021
Educational Materials is HERE!!!!
[Project] Translation Project of the Manga on AI and human Death in my class
［IRobot_and_his_masters_death.pdf］with password, 6.1MB
Nulla. Ice-Breaking [introduceyourself.pdf]
I. Let's make your dialogic workshop more fun!
II. The three axioms for the modern research ethics.
III. [Workshop] A Change of Plans
IV. [Workshop] The Selection of Data
V. [Workshop] Discovering an Error
VI.[Workshop] Fabrication in a Grant Proposal
VII.[Workshop] Is It Plagiarism?
VIII. [Workshop] A Career in the Balance
IX. [Workshop] Tests on Students
X. [Workshop] A Change of Protocol
XI. [Workshop] Publication Practices
XII. [Workshop] Who Gets Credit?
XIII. [Workshop] A Commercial Opportunity?
XIV. [Workshop] A Conflict of Commitment
XV. [Lecture & Workshop] The Elemental Form of the Ethics in Conducting Fieldwork
XVI. [Lecture] On Critical Thinking
[Violation against Human Rights in Academic Research Context]
|Ethics for Academic Research, for Graduate students of Osaka University
||[Lecture] Let's make your dialogic workshop more fun!|
|[Lecture] The three axioms
for the modern research ethics
|[Workshop] A Change of Plans|
|[Workshop] The Selection of
|[Workshop] Discovering an
|[Workshop] Fabrication in a Grant
|[Workshop] Is It Plagiarism?
|[Workshop] A Career in the
|[Workshop] Tests on Students
|[Workshop] A Change of
|[Workshop] Who Gets Credit?
|[Workshop] A Commercial
|[Lecture & Workshop] The Elemental
Form of the Ethics in Conducting Fieldwork
[The Ethics of Fieldwork（only Online lecture with pdf text） ]
|[Lecture] Introduction to "Ethical
Guidelines for the Use of Animals in Research"
|[Workshop] A Conflict of
|Useful dicta for Young Scientists
|Research Ethics and the repatriation
of human remains of ethnic minorities and indienous people
|Protect Human Rights in Academic Research Context|
|[Lecture] On Critical Thinking
|[Break]［Loin du Fukushima, 2011- ∞］|
Fog of War: Eleven Lessons from the Life of Robert S. McNamara］
|[Project] Translation Project of the Manga on AI and
human Death in my class
［IRobot_and_his_masters_death.pdf］with password, 6.1MB
Links within same directory
Credit: Introduction to Research Ethics for Young and old Students!!!
Copyleft, CC, Mitzub'ixi Quq Chi'j, 2010-2020